improve your English Learn English

Language tip of the week: theatre

Learn English with Macmillan DictionaryIn this weekly post, we bring more useful content from the Macmillan Dictionary to English language learners. These tips are usually based on areas of English which learners find difficult, e.g. spelling, grammar, collocation, synonyms, usage, etc.

This week’s language tip helps with the differences in meaning of theatre in American and British English.

In both the UK and the US, a theatre is a place where people watch plays or other performances.
In the US, you can also use theater or movie theater to mean a place that shows films. In the UK, you see a film at a cinema.
In the UK, a short break in the middle of a play, film, concert etc is referred to as the interval or the intermission. In the US only intermission is used for this meaning.

More language tips

Browse the list under the ‘language tips‘ tag here on the blog for more useful language tips.

Would you like to improve your vocabulary? Follow our daily tweets @MacLearnEnglish or visit our Facebook Page.

Email this Post Email this Post

About the author

Liz Potter

Liz Potter

Leave a Comment