We introduced Macmillan’s Sounds: The Pronunciation App a while back. The excellent news is that it’s now also available for purchase from the Apple app store in a Premium Edition (at just £3.99 / $6.99).
Exciting features of the Premium Edition include the following:
– Fully interactive phonemic charts for both British and American English
– A wordlist with over 650 selected high-frequency vocabulary items (taken from the Macmillan English Dictionary), including audio recordings and phonemic spellings. There’s also a recording function so you can compare your own pronunciation with models
– Practice activities for reading, writing and listening
– Two different types of quizzes (3 minutes & 3 lives) where you’re up against the clock – quite a challenge!
– A phonemic typewriter for free practice with the phonemic symbols
– Top tips for both students and teachers by pronunciation expert Adrian Underhill
– A complete one hour workshop video on ‘Teaching with the Chart’
If you’d like to try the app before you buy it, the Free version of Sounds is availabe to download here (both for Apple and Android operating systems). You’ll find fully-working tasters of both the Practice and Quiz sections available in the Free app (or simply update the version on your device if you have it already). You can find more information about Sounds on this website or watch this video (4:15) to find out more about the thinking behind and the making of the app:
Leave a Comment